we started building the coop before we got the ladies as day-olds. it has been a slow project and also encompassed getting the trees removed and the new fence put up, as seen in a previous post. The coop began with a set of plans we bought for "the garden coop". we began building it in the garage where it would be quieter for the neighbors and more discreet. of course, there was hardly any room...
in the background of this shot, in the center, you can see where the coop site is- pre fence and pre leaves.
after the fence went up we brought the frame out and put it in place
later, the corrugated plastic roof and hardware cloth went up. hardware cloth is the small wire mesh to keep all predators out. it encloses them from top to bottom- on the ceiling and dug into the ground.
the coop itself- where they sleep and lay eggs- is now build of plywood with wood shelf siding. The inside still needs to be completed but the addition of a gutter was a final touch to this side- using pipe parts from the disassembling of the old boiler.